The last thing you want to happen in the middle of a Cleveland winter is for your furnace to stop working. You and your family could be left in the cold for hours before you realize that something is seriously wrong. By knowing the signs of a failing furnace, you can save yourself time, money, and the peace of mind that your family will be warm all winter. Here are some things to look out for:
• The average furnace lasts 15 to 20 years. If yours is getting closer to that age, it’s a good idea to start shopping around for a new furnace.
• A sudden increase in your electric bill could mean that your furnace needs either a maintenance check or a full replacement.
• The flame on your furnace should only burn blue while in use. If the flame is yellow and flickering, you should call a professional. The yellow flame could indicate excess carbon monoxide and can be dangerous to you and your family.
• If you feel the need to constantly adjust your thermostat, or you find that some rooms are colder than others, your furnace may be having trouble properly distributing air throughout your home.
• If the air in your home feels stuffy and stale, your furnace may be failing to moisturize and clean the air in your home. Frequent dust accumulation, dry nose and throat, static shocks, and drooping plants are also signs of a failing furnace.
Keeping a close eye on an old furnace is the best way to keep your family safe and comfortable, especially in the middle of winter when a functioning system is crucial. If you’re experiencing any of the above signs, give us a call immediately so we can take a look at your system.